Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Panda Bear

I've listened to some of Panda Bear's music in the past and while I liked a couple songs I never really got into it. Animal Collective was a big part of what I listened to only a few years ago now, and I was excited when I first learned some of the members had been making solo albums. Along with Avey Tare, Panda Bear is one of the band member's pseudonyms. Well, like a good cheese it's gotten better with age - or perhaps I'm the cheese and I'm finally recognizing how much I love the music.

A week or so ago I noticed on Metacritic that Panda Bear had a new album out and it had gotten really good reviews. So naturally, I wanted to check it out. The first song i came across on YouTube was Latin Boys - it's got a cool music video to go along with it too.


I don't know enough about music to talk a lot about what makes something good or bad - all I can do is gauge whether or not it is appealing to me. This is definitely appealing. The beat is catchy, kind of edgy, and somehow soothing. That's as descriptive as I'll attempt to get. I started looking for more and found, to my delight, that I really enjoyed the earlier albums as well. Person Pitch and Tomboy are both excellent from start to finish. It's not really mainstream in any way, but I like it.

Person Pitch

Tomboy

No comments: