Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Learning Form in Anatomy

I've spent a good chunk of the last half of the year (though I've been pretty busy the last couple of months!) working on developing my forms. Riven Pheonix introduced me to a new way of thinking and how to build a human body from the imagination. Andrew Loomis has helped me hone my proportions and reinforce the landmarks of the human body. Things were coming together, but it still looked a little flat. Something was missing, and that was my 3 dimensional sense of form on a 2D piece of paper. Enter, Michael Hampton.


This book has helped me immensely and is probably my favourite life drawing book at the moment. I haven't quite gotten through it yet, but I can already feel, and see, the improvement it has made. I feel like I've still got a long way to go, but I'm on the right path. There are areas I still need to visit like facial expressions, body types, setting a scene, clothing and drapery, and colour. All this leads to the ultimate goal of producing a graphic novel, creating concept art, my own stories, and perhaps even one day making paintings. I've covered a lot of ground, but there's more to go!


No comments: